The NCAA approved a new "five-for-five" eligibility model in June 2026 — five seasons within five years, starting this fall. It left out one specific group: athletes who entered college in 2022 and played their four years through spring 2026. Those athletes missed the COVID-era extensions given to classes before them and the new rule that applies to classes after them. On August 1, U.S. District Judge Charlotte Sweeney certified them as a nationwide class and issued a preliminary injunction: they get a fifth year. The NCAA called it "egregiously wrong" and filed an emergency appeal. A transfer portal window opened August 3 and closes August 10.

1. Athletes Got Excluded Twice (Brock Wisne, Cade Tyson, Lead Plaintiffs)

They got cut out of two consecutive policies. The court agreed that's not fair.

The NCAA chose to exclude them twice. Lead plaintiffs Brock Wisne (Northern Colorado basketball) and Cade Tyson (Minnesota basketball) sued under federal antitrust law, arguing the NCAA stripped them of "earning potential, educational advancement, and NIL compensation." One more year would have meant one more year of NIL deals and playing time. The class of 2022 competed alongside COVID-extended fifth- and sixth-year players, then graduated as the class right behind them gets five years guaranteed.

The ruling is targeted, not sweeping. Judge Sweeney's August 3 clarification limited the injunction to one thing: a fifth year for this cohort. It doesn't override the House v. NCAA settlement, doesn't change roster caps, doesn't let anyone out of the pro contract ban. Plaintiffs' attorney Rob Shelquist put it plainly: "These athletes aren't asking for special treatment. They're asking to not be singled out and excluded from the NCAA's eligibility framework."

2. But the NCAA Says Courts Can't Fix College Sports (Charlie Baker, Scott Bearby)

The problem isn't the principle. It's that courts are making policy that belongs to governance.

An extra year takes a spot from someone else. NCAA chief legal officer Scott Bearby said the ruling was "egregiously wrong" — issued "with virtually no evidence, and without witness testimony or even so much as a hearing" — and that it "irreparably harms thousands of student-athletes already on campus" who enrolled expecting certain roster rules. The NCAA's core legal argument is that one federal court can't undo terms of the House settlement approved by a separate federal court.

Baker wants Congress to fix this, not judges. NCAA president Charlie Baker said: "Today's rulings and the chaos they bring to college sports are exactly why it's time to pass this bill" — the Protect College Sports Act, a bipartisan bill from Senators Ted Cruz and Maria Cantwell that would give the NCAA antitrust immunity over eligibility rules. If the Senate had passed it before this summer, the antitrust theory behind the Wisne lawsuit would have no basis. The Senate Commerce Committee passed it 19-9 in June, but the Senate adjourned this week without scheduling a floor vote.

3. And the Rosters Are Already Full, Anyway (Dan Hurley, Kevin Corrigan)

Even if the ruling is fair, programs built their rosters before it landed.

Most programs entered August fully committed. UConn head basketball coach Dan Hurley posted on social media: "Somebody please come and fix College Sports. It's a complete [expletive] show." Basketball programs have 15 scholarships, and most had already committed every one. Former North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham raised the obvious question: "My surprise was, why didn't we wait for the legislation to come after the year started."

For non-revenue sports, the frustration runs deeper. Notre Dame men's lacrosse coach Kevin Corrigan put it bluntly: "This is a football and basketball issue that they turned into an everybody issue." The August 3-10 portal window requires athletes to find a program with an open spot and the budget to fund it — in August, with fall practice underway and rosters locked. Illinois athletic director Josh Whitman, who chaired the cabinet that passed the five-year rule, said he was confident in "the substance of the rule" but acknowledged there are always "transitional elements" to significant changes.

Where This Lands

The Tenth Circuit is the key. The NCAA asked for a ruling before August 5 — five days before the portal closes August 10. If the appeals court stays the injunction before then, the window closes and athletes who haven't found spots go home. If it doesn't, programs have until the 10th to pick up any eligible athletes who can get roster spots and funding. The Big Ten and SEC — who opposed the PCSA for months — flipped to support it on the same night the ruling dropped. That gives the bill a real shot in September, when the Senate returns. But September is after football season starts. The class of 2022 has their ruling. Whether the Tenth Circuit leaves it standing long enough to matter is the fight happening right now.

Sources